There is a lot of time and effort invested in producing textures such as these, so I would really appreciate feedback after you incorporate it in your artistic endeavors. A link to your work with the texture (for me), and a link to this site if you post your work would make my day!
Don't be afraid of the depth and intensity of this texture. Blend Modes such as Overlay and Soft Light tone it down in color while leaving some texture. If you are like me and more interested in producing art than simply enhancing a photograph, then Blend Modes such as Hard Light and Linear Light will give you more of an artistic feel to work with.
While the texture has magical possibilities, the real magic lies with you and the artistry you bring to the application of this, or any texture. Layer Masks are crucial to the exercise of such artistry. If you are working in PSE 8 (or earlier versions) you can learn more about how to add a Layer Mask to your editing program by clicking HERE.
This is the photograph I have selected on which I will apply the texture and whatever artistry I can muster! :) It is a photograph of part of a church in the harbor of Old Montreal. The religious statues are positionned to greet weary sailors arriving in port after crossing the Atlantic Ocean. My plan, with this texture, is to give the image an older and more dramatic appearance.
Eh voila - the transformation. Here are the steps I took in PSE 8:
- Applied texture to photograph, adjusting it to fit with bounding boxes which become visible when using the Move Tool.
- Tried different Blend Modes and settled on Linear Light, reducing the Opacity to 80%.
- Added a Layer Mask Action to remove some texture from the sky Those who work with PS or PSE 9 have a layer mask available in the program and do not need an action.
- Used a Soft Brush (foreground color black) at Opacity of 20% to remove some texture.
- Did a Levels Adjustment bringing white slider in to meet Histogram (to add a bit more light).
- Sharpened the image once. Felt it needed more, so Sharpened again.
- Added my signature initials.